Sunday, January 2, 2011

How I Painted My Keyboard Coldplay Style





So there it is, my most recent pride and joy. The first real artistic endeavor on my part, at least with paint and paint brush in hand. I just want to take a few moments to explain a little about what the images that you were just bombarded with. I promise that the video was not meant to be like some crazy musical brainwashing, I just had tons of pictures from that told a pretty good story from start to finish. Since the piano in the music video for Coldplay's song "Christmas Lights" has a worn, distressed look about it I tried to think of ways to make a white plastic piano seem like it was not as such.

First I took the bad boy apart, something that as my parents can attest to, I have enjoyed immensely since an early age. It is however, in my more recent years that I have also enjoyed making sure I put said disassembled object back together again with an added bonus of it still working when I'm through. After that, I performed some surgery and removed the electronics from the 3 main parts that I wanted to paint. Then, I went to my local friendly art supply store which will remain nameless for just the sake of being more mysterious this way. You're probably thinking, WHAT WAS IT?! AC MOORE, JO ANN FABRICS, PERHAPS THE ENDLESS STOCKED SHELVES OF WALMART?!?! THE SUSPENCE IS KILLING ME!! AAARRHHGHGGGG!!!!!

*ahem* Allow me to now regain control of this blog.

I bought paints, both spray and a small army of colorful acrylics. I needed to spray prime everything I was going to paint so I started painting everything with a white primer spray paint. After many added coats of paint, and many subtracted braincells from paint fumes, it was time to spray paint it with brown so when I wore away the acrylic paints applied to the top coat, a woody worn and torn look would be accomplished. Finally, I was ready to put some color in the mix and added some green acrylic to the top and bottom. Following that, I dove in to what would be the most difficult part of the project; painting the keys. This was a challenge because I followed a picture of the piano from the video key for key. I had to match the color and then also apply varying degrees of simulated wear to each key. It took a while but after all the hard work I was really pleased with how it came out. I realized that I needed to apply a blue top coat to the top and bottom to pull of the look I was going for and did so. After all that was done I had to add some clear coats to protect the finished product with some spray clear matte paint before I put it all together. Finally, after all the painting was through, I put it all together and it still worked! Bonus added.

2 comments: