Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thank you Nostalgia, I won't soon forget you.



On one lazy Saturday night about a week ago I was hanging out with two good friends when we stumbled upon the trailer for the new Winnie the Pooh movie that is coming out this July. Then... WHAM! It hit me like a grand piano falling from a crane, 8 floors up above the sidewalk on to my unassuming self with headphones on probably listening to Coldplay. I heard the voices from Winnie the Pooh, Rabbit and Tigger. Voices that I have not heard for 10 or more years. Familiar voices, ones that I grew up with. Evoking fond memories that sent me back to a time of unconditional feelings of comfort and safety. My childhood. Something more forgotten in some ways then I would like to admit. This quote inspired me to write this post:

"If ever there is a tomorrow when we’re not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.”
-Winnie the Pooh

The only time I have ever had this same familiar feeling is when I remember watching family videos of my grandparents all of which I lost at a very young age except for my very vivacious 88 year old Grandmom. I feel like the memories of people you lose always stay relatively vivid whereas, their voices are something we can not help but forget. They are as unique as snowflakes and we don't even realize we forget the sound of their voices until we go back and hear them again. Hearing their voices again is almost haunting, but in a Casper the Friendly Ghost kind of way. As soon as you process this strange yet recognizable sound, memories of them rush back into your head and freeze in your mind like the first breath of cold winter air you take when you step outside. If you have gone through this then you'll know what I'm talking about. With Thanksgiving past and this holiday season coming up, make sure to take videos with your loved ones. Pictures might be worth a thousand words but videos are worth the rest of what you can't fully dare to describe with words and maybe more; in the case of loved ones that have died, a little taste of heaven borrowed and brought back down earth.

Even if you're apart, They will always be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment